This family favourite is a warming pie for a wintery evening. Adapted to be gluten free, it is a variation on Jamie Oliver’s Turkey, Bacon and Leek pie.
30 mins prep
20 mins cooking
1 garlic clove, crushed (optional)
5 rashers smoked back bacon (chopped)
1 tsp of dried thyme
Pinch of sea salt
¼ tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp of gluten free plain flour
¾ cup of chicken stock (bought or homemade)
600g chopped cooked chicken (breast or thigh meat)
2 chopped carrots (1cm cubes, cooked)
3 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 Tablespoon of butter
½ cup grated cheese (optional)
1. Prepare the mashed potato by cooking the potato in boiling, salted water until tender.
2. Drain and heat for a few minute to dry off excess moisture. Mash the potato and add butter, sea salt and grated cheese.
3. Place the butter in a large pan and add the chopped bacon, sea salt, pepper and thyme.
4. Sauté until the bacon is cooked. Turn the heat off and stir in the flour.
5. Once mixed in, add the chicken stock stirring all the time and bring to the boil.
6. Take off the heat, mix in the cooked carrot and transfer to a 20 x20 pie dish.
7. Pipe or spoon the mashed potato on top and bake at 200 Celsius for 20-25minutes until cooked through.
8. Serve with green vegetables of your choice and carrots.